Monday, September 5, 2011

Made of Monday....My Birthday!

No, it is not my birthday...
My birthday falls on a holiday, and not just any holiday….HALLOWEEN! Having a Halloween birthday is part of who I am.

I have always had wonderful, homemade costumes. We have always carved fantastic pumpkins. There have always been fanciful, wonderful, spooky decorations. And my family continues that now for our children.

There are some folks who don’t like Halloween and they have their reasons, but for me Halloween has always been a magical time of being a little scared, a lot excited, and celebrating. The anticipation for my birthday begins to build from the moment the stores first put out decorations, and then grows as the Halloween candy fills the aisles. The annual trip to the pumpkin patch is like the beginning of the celebration. And the choosing of the costume and ensuing making of the costume is most exciting of preparations.

I thought I might write about how Halloween isn’t a bad holiday or doesn’t mean what some folks think it means. I even started to research Halloween to see if what I thought matched up with what it is. The more I read, and the more I thought about what Halloween is to me, the clearer it became to me that Halloween is my birthday.

Yes, there are draw backs. There are always lots of Halloween parties so a birthday party is not nearly as exciting as a Halloween Costume party, but my mom did a good job of making my parties special when I was little. And there is never a party on my birthday because everyone is out trick-or-treating. Now, my birthday takes a back seat to taking our own children out. But seeing my kids have a good time is a nice way to spend my birthday.

I am just now realizing that not everyone has the build up to their birthday that I do. The months of anticipation, not only by me, but by everyone who is into Halloween. Not everyone has all of the pre-celebration traditions – like pumpkin gathering and carving, and costume making. Not everyone has a birthday surrounded by festivities and parties, parades and decorations. Some people have birthday’s that are just another normal day.

Not me, my birthday is on Halloween…and that is what I am made of.


And so it is Halloween Launch week at TIAMO! In the next day or so I will be listing all sorts of spooky Halloween items – vintage button bracelets, hair tutus, supplies, cards, banners! I hope you will stop by and check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment