Monday, August 22, 2011

Made of Monday....

Today was the big day! Grace’s first day of pre-school and Terry’s last first day of law school!
As we have been getting Grace ready for school, I have been thinking about my own school experiences, especially those when I was her age.

I remember kindergarten – mainly wetting my pants because I was afraid to walk past the big kids. And I remember seeing someone throw up for the first time. I remember a lady coming to play guitar and teaching us a song about “His Banner over me is Love” and wondering why we were singing about toilet paper…but I can’t remember my teacher’s name.

I remember moving in first grade. I remember at the first school the desks had tops that lifted open. But it is not until we moved and I started first grade at St. Mary’s that I can recall my teacher’s name. Her name is Mrs. Johnson. She says I can call her Debbie now…but really I can’t. She IS Mrs. Johnson.

I remember other moments of school, but not nearly so many as I do of Mrs. Johnson’s first grade class.  In the years after first grade, I have still more memories of Mrs. Johnson. She took my picture for the school calendar the year I won the button contest for Catholic Schools week. She was on the playground. She let me help get her classroom ready the summers that my mom was working at the school. She came all the way to Maryland to stand as my confirmation sponsor when I was in high school. She stopped by my parent’s house shortly after Terry and I were married to meet my husband and congratulate us. She is among my friends on Facebook.

Grace starting school today was a big decision. We had thought we would homeschool, but for right now that just doesn’t work for our family. In the discussions and decision making, there were two things that have made me question homeschooling and helped to comfort me in our decision to send her to school. The first is marching band…and the second is Mrs. Johnson.

I want Grace to have a Mrs. Johnson. I want her to know the love and discipline, the love of learning and the strength of character of a great teacher. I want her to carry with her the example of someone other than me or my husband in loving the Lord and loving learning.

Maybe that is a lot to ask Grace’s teachers to live up too. They might not – I know that not all of mine did, but if just one can, she will be blessed.

So on this Monday, as I drop my baby girl at school, I am made of Mrs. Johnson’s first grade class.
Thank you, Mrs. Johnson! I hope you have a wonderful first day today, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment