Thursday, August 25, 2011

Whoa is me....

I am supposed to be writing something profound and inspirational for the blog, but I am feeling snarky and uninspired, and this is all I have for this Thursday morning.

I dropped my husband off at school this morning. I don’t do that every day, our lives are busy and those few extra minutes together in the car are sometimes the only ones we get.

It is the first week on classes and today is apparently the first day that they will be towing cars for being parked/ permitted incorrectly. There was also a great deal of parking on campus that was restructured over the summer. You can’t get to all the same places the same ways, and there are still a few temporary pass-throughs, as well as blockages present.  All in all, though I have found it much easier to get to where I need to be.
Apparently, I am the only one!

I was “greeted” by numerous folks having trouble navigating the parking lots and understanding right away. One young man (and I use that term loosely…I am trying to be generous!) in particular, came barreling through one of  the temporary pass-throughs that is a dirt path through what use to be a parking space. I had to slam on brakes to avoid hitting him, for which I received a scowl and up turned nose.

The first thoughts that filled my mind were:
Really dude!
You are in a parking lot!
You go to Liberty!
You are supposed to be Christian!

On the way home I was consumed, not with anger, but discontent. I kept recalling what had happened and wondering just who that kid thought he was. I was in the lot that is for campus police, law students and the medical facility on campus, but surely this kid didn’t think any of those things made him better than every other driver in the lot or should garner him any special privileges – including the privilege of nearly running me over and being a stink about it!

Then I started to think about how the priest who married Terry and I always says that sometimes we run into bad drivers because they need us to pray for them. Maybe that kid needs me to pray for him. Maybe this first week of school has been hard. Maybe he is having a hard time being away from home- he had Arkansan plates. Maybe he is sick…maybe he just needs a few extra prayers and a little grace in his day.

Or maybe…maybe I need him to prayer for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment