Thursday, August 4, 2011

This Thursday

I have a plan for Thursdays but it is going to take me a few weeks to make it work, in the mean time, I think it would be a good time for you to get to know me…

I am a mom and a wife. I am also a student, again (yikes!) I am a crafter – it is really hard for me to call myself artistic or creative.  And in all these things I am trying to glorify God…trying.

Two years ago, my husband and I with baby girl in tow sold the house and moved to a new town so that my husband could go to law school. In the process we have all gotten an education! We now have a big girl and a baby boy, more student loan debt than we can shake a stick at and a whole different outlook on life.

How did we get there well it is kind of a funny story…no not really, but I’ll tell you anyway…

I was about oh 34 weeks pregnant when I quit my job – not on purpose, but sometimes things just can’t be salvaged, sometimes life just shouts YOU DON’T BELONG HERE! And that was hard. I was doing work that felt important, and good and right and purposeful and that is hard to leave. So I was now a full-time stay at home mom. And then the baby came…and then my husband’s company made changes.

We were blessed to have nearly 18 months notice to make a plan before his job would be gone.  He was working towards completing a degree and would rather serendipitously graduate at the same time his job ended – multiplying the possibilities in the decision making process. And then the economy tanked…

What to do, what to do…He was offered a job halfway across the country in the one town we had been to and swore we could never live in…and so he turned it down. We would find something closer to home and then we started talking about graduate degrees…my husband is one smart cookie!

So then where…I had done some volunteer work with a girl who was a law student at a new law school, why not try there? So we did…and so here we are…one year from a law degree, one year from more change, one more kid in tow…and all by the grace of God!

You know people say that, by the grace of God…but really truly. I cannot begin to explain to you how certain I am, how powerful a feeling it is to know that this is God’s plan. Not to say that it has all been roses, because it has been far from it.

I hear people say “Rely on God”, “Trust in God”…and I wonder what that looks like. I try to envision in each situation what that looks like. Most of the time I come up blank…but in retrospect I can see God at work in our lives, I can see where he answered prayers (maybe not the answer we thought we wanted, but answered none the less) and where he filled our lives with his goodness and light, the times when I could not have hoped to have the wisdom to ask for what he did or allowed to happen in our lives. 

So here  we are on the brink of what is next, feeling God’s hand in our lives, praying to find peace with what he brings into our lives or where he takes us…and just trying to get by in day to day and watch the big picture unfold.

But I guess that was more about the family, than me…so about me…ha! I am a 30-something mom to two beautiful kids, wife to a smarty pants law student, and crafter trying to make ends meet in a budget that is non-existent…nice to meet you, check out the shop and help a girl out and get something pretty for someone you love (yourself included!)

1 comment:

  1. Pretty amazing woman you are! I have known you for a long time and nothing in this blog was a suprise but to see it in works was truly inspirational... the testimony was awesome. Thank you for sharing and i hope that others take the time to read and enjoy it. Much love

    ReplyDelete